Wednesday, July 25, 2012

{In My Closet} Black, White and Mustard for the Autumn Palette


I am soon due to travel back to Oslo, so I need to finish building up my 2012 Autumn Collection while I still can. New arrivals will be available in J. Crew stores on Wednesday the 26th, but I'm not sure if they will have my size . What would I do if I fall in love with something, which I most likely will, and they do not have my size? An online order would not arrive until after I have left for Oslo. Such are the troubles of my life.

I really liked the black and mustard yellow color combination, so I went ahead and purchased the optic-dot boatneck tee, perfect-fit colorblock tee in neutral and black, and ankle stretch toothpick jean in garment-dyed twill in golden sunflower.The little package of goodness arrived today, and I am pleased to announce that I am keeping all three items.

Here are some {quick comments}:
The optic-dot boatneck tee is light and thin, though not thin enough to be transparent (very good). The pattern is unique, and the shirt is fitted but not skin tight. This looks good paired with the golden sunflower toothpick jean, and I also plan to wear them with jeans in regular wash, Minnies, Cafe Capris and the likes.

The perfect-fit colorblock tee lives up to its name. The color combination is classic and versatile, and the shirt will go with other items in my closet. The material and fit are like regular perfect-fit tees from J.Crew.

I love the  ankle stretch toothpick jean in garment-dyed twill ! The material is soft, and I do not feel like a stuffed sausage even though they are toothpick. In other brands, I sometimes find myself breaking a sweat just trying to put on a pair of skinny jeans. The color is very nice, too. I am 5"1 so ankle jeans are like regular lengths for  me. I think these will look good rolled up as well. 


I have been good at waiting for full price items to go on sale before buying them. This is rather easy since I am only back in the US two times a year, and I cannot indulge myself in retail therapy all the time. I spend most of  my time {window shopping} online and make the purchases when there are good offers and/or right before I travel back. However, sometimes I take the plunge and go all in for full priced items. I just need to promise myself to not check J. Crew website for the next month or two to: 1) prevent further spending and 2) to avoid seeing things that I bought at full price are marked down and being sold with additional % off. That would just make me upset, and I will need another retail therapy to recover.


The vicious cycle...


6 comments:

  1. Wow, the items look really gorgeous the way you've arranged them! I'm liking the Golden Sunflower with black and ivory a lot. Now I may have to consider the Golden Sunflower pants myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, life as a cat! I was really surprised at how I like the ankle tooth picks. They look good and feel even better on. I had to stop myself from buying one in each color! The black and ivory dot is a unique and versatile piece, I think.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I love that optic dot boatneck. I'm so happy to hear that it is not see-through. It's on my must have list. Thanks for the reviews; I'm going to try the ankle toothpicks, too. I dread the stuffed sausage feeling so I'm hoping they work for me, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey shopalot! I just double checked to be sure, and the verdict is still that the optic dot is not see-through. The material is thin but I couldn't see through the shirt. A SA at my local b&m said that the ankle toothpick does stretch, so we do not need to go up a size for the "just in case for the holidays" factor. Happy shopping to you!

      Delete
  3. Love this! I have the jeans and cannot wait to pair them with the tops you have...I've been eyeing that optic dot top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shariyu! I am looking forward to going back to work just so I can break out the newbies. It feels almost like going back to school, although the last time I went back to school was almost a decade ago :o). I didn't catch the optic dot top today at the b&m in their new arrivals, so I am really glad I ordered it online. Happy shopping!

      Delete